Independently responsible for a range of tax accounting responsibilities to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local tax compliance.
• Income Taxes: managing filing returns; filing extensions and estimated payments; reviewing federal and state LLC returns for all entities; communicating with external CPA firms on filings; responding to various federal and state tax notices; responding to investor questions; preparing quarterly estimated capital account balances to investors; preparing annual projection of capital account deficits to investors; filing and communication on state level income tax incentive programs
• Property Taxes: preparing and/or reviewing property tax filings and paying property taxes for existing projects; providing cost data and working with assessors on new projects; filing and communication on state level property tax incentive and abatement programs; working with auditors and external vendors on state property tax audits; preparing estimated/forecasted property taxes on potential projects; preparing annual property tax budget
• Sales and Use Taxes: preparing and/or reviewing sales/use tax filings and paying monthly/quarterly taxes for existing projects; working with suppliers and state authorities on reporting and filing requirements; filing and communication on state level use/tax abatement programs
• Manage the Company HLBV function, to include preparation of quarterly HLBV calculations and forecasts, and support HLBV-related audit requests.
• Compare performance with operating plans and standards, provide reports, and interpret the results of operations.
• Analyze accounting records, including financial statements and other financial reports to assess accuracy, completeness, and conformance to defined standards.
• Analyze complex contracts for accounting requirements and ensure accounting entries and reports are compliant with applicable contracts.
• Resolve moderate to complex problems independently; escalate highly-complex situations to Controller or Director of Finance. Function independently in evaluating alternatives, conducting analysis, and making recommendations/decisions in alignment to regulatory requirements and project-specific business needs.
• Coordinate tax engagements for the Company and portfolios with accounting firms. Act as key point of contact for outside tax accountants and relevant other service providers.
• Coordinate and complete Nevada RETA and commerce compliance requirements. Manage County Sales Tax Tracking obligations. Manage the R&D credit and credit substantiation requirements.
• Assist with Investor valuation requests.
• Ensure work product complies with in-house standards, GAAP, best practices, and any other applicable regulatory standards. Assist in the formulation of internal controls and policies to comply with regulations and established best practices.
• Ensure high level of communication of financial information to Controller as well as external stakeholders as applicable.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field (CPA or CPA candidate preferred)
• 4+ years related experience as well as intermediate understanding of tax accounting and reporting
• Advanced Excel skills, ability to work with lookup and pivot tables without training
• Strong planning, organizational, and complex problem-solving abilities
• Self-starter with effective judgement, discretion, and professionalism
• Ability to work with numerous accounts at once
• Ability to accurately account for transactions by reviewing contract language
• Follow industry trends and track changes related to taxes and recommend tax strategies that align with business needs
• Outstanding verbal, interpersonal, and written communication skills
• Self-motivated with the ability to effectively manage competing deadlines or projects
• Committed tram player with the ability to develop and maintain productive work relationships
• Flexibility conducive to a fast-paced, growing company environment
Equal Opportunity Employer