Director of Construction
Responsible for overseeing the project management team to facilitate construction of utility-scale solar projects; managing third-party EPC contractors and vendors; and ensuring quality, cost, and timelines are achieved.
· Oversee the Project Management (PM) team and provide leadership and guidance in order to effectively meet business and operational needs. Lead the planning, execution, control, and close on renewable energy construction projects.
· In coordination with VP of Construction, provide significant insight toward strategic planning for the construction department in alignment with business strategy.
· Oversee the creation of manageable and executable project management systems that contribute to minimizing risk to the construction project portfolio. Lead the execution of core PM activities of developing, executing, and monitoring key constraints of project of scope, cost, and time.
· Provide project leadership in initial planning stage by collaborating with internal and external stakeholders, third-party contractors, and others to develop a detailed description of the project deliverables and requirements.
· Evaluate and determine costs for creating project budgets and utilize resources to control project costs.
· Develop and negotiate contracts with contractors, vendors and other third-party entities.
· Oversee the construction/capital project management processes including procedural archetypes of RFI’s/submittals, change orders/change management, and design revisions/changes.
· Oversee schedule and contract negotiations for third-party construction managers, consultants, engineers, and other external support staff. Ensure contractors’ work meets Clēnera expectations to include quality standards, contractual obligations, cost, scope, and adherence to specifications.
· Anticipate and/or identify project threats, complications, or risks as well as proactively and effectively take appropriate measures to resolve problems, address threats, and mitigate risk.
· Ensure utilization of effective project management, alignment to cost and timelines, and regular project status updates to ensure successful project completion.
· Meet regularly with stakeholders, third parties and PMs to report on progress and coordinate on achieving project milestones.
· Ensure effective communication with stakeholders. Monitor contractor performance against agreed-upon criteria and ensure accountability to ensure contractual obligations are fulfilled. Clarify and/or resolve contractual-related concerns and mitigate the impact of any issues.
· People management responsibilities include selection/hiring, training and development, project assignments, coaching and performance management, and accountability for business results.
· Liaison between construction department and leadership team, including project updates and reporting as appropriate.
· Assess and develop PM systems and processes as well as recommend changes to increase efficiency and effectiveness.
· Other related duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree in Construction Science, Construction Management, Civil Engineering, or a related field; advanced degree preferred
· 8+ years’ progressive construction management experience, including 5+ years managing the construction of utility-scale solar projects
· Proven business management and people management responsibilities
· Technical knowledge, familiarity with solar and storage technologies, and knowledge of power markets in North America
· Extensive experience applying PM methodologies in a commercial construction environment and exceptional ability to execute effectively
· Ability to negotiate contractual terms/conditions and facilitate ongoing relationships with third-party providers
· Ability to thoroughly understand contracts and resulting requirements, expectations, and deliverables by all parties involved
· Ability to collaborate cross-functionally with both internal and external stakeholders
· Exceptional problem solving and confident decision-making abilities
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Proficiency in project scheduling software as well as in Microsoft Office Suite
· Self-motivated with the ability to effectively manage competing deadlines or projects
· Committed team player with the ability to develop and maintain productive work relationships
· Flexibility conducive to a fast-paced, growing company environment
Physical & Other Requirements:
· Travel 25+% of the time, primarily to project sites
· Ability to traverse all areas of project sites with various terrain/weather conditions on active construction sites
· Availability to be on-call to address emergencies and/or work additional hours as projects demand
Clēnera offers a comprehensive benefits package. Learn more.
Equal Opportunity Employer